Money For Moving

Normally, when a military member makes a permanent change of address (PCS) move, the government contracts a commercial moving company to pack and move their household goods (HHG). The government will cover all expenses limited to the member’s authorized weight limit - which varies depending on criteria such as rank and dependents. The amount the government will pay for your move is also known as the Government Constructive Cost (GCC).

However, there is another option! Military members can choose to move their household items themselves by participating in the Personally Procured Move (PPM) option, formerly known as the Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move. When a member chooses the PPM option, it allows the member to receive up to 95% of the Government Constructive Cost if they arrange their own move. A member may receive more money for a move than their costs. Shop around as full service movers may provide a quote that is less than 95% of GCC. You may be able to enjoy peace of mind, save your back, and profit while doing it. Members may also choose to use a privately owned vehicle (POV), rent a truck, or use a container. But one strategy that not many realize, is that moving with a PPM, a soldier is authorized to shop around and arrange his own full service move. Many full service movers will provide a quote that is less than 95% of GCC. This means you can enjoy peace of mind, save your back, and make money while doing it. Whichever option you choose, follow our 6 step strategy to utilize the PPM move with the best chances of making money.

Active Military Saves on Storage with CubeSmart Self Storage!

Step 1: Understand what qualifies

Because your reimbursement is calculated based on weight and distance, it is important to include only qualified Household Goods (HHG) in your weight estimate. HHG do not include: automobiles or other motor vehicles, mobile homes, camper trailers, farming vehicles, animals, building materials, items for resale or disposal, privately owned live ammunition, and articles that otherwise would qualify as HHG but are acquired after the effective date of PCS orders.

Reimbursement for a personally procured move is for moving expenses only and does not include reimbursement for any personal travel, food, overnight stays, or allowances. On the other hand, any expenses related to your move can be reimbursed. This includes fuel and packing material such as boxes and tape. Be sure to keep copies of all receipts as you will need to claim for these expenses.